How could you come between my family and me? You couldn’t handle even a few special days off so others could shine. For me, it was such a love-hate bond we had under the false pretense that I “needed” you to have fun, be social or to handle my emotions and stress.
Helping others, connection and relationships based on self-esteem, exercise, eating better and creating art. All the tings you used to tell me we didn’t need https://ecosoberhouse.com/ as long as we were together. In the beginning there seemed to be so much promise with you and I. I had already endured so much trauma at such a young age.
Get news from Banyan Treatment Center in your inbox.
So, if you’ve been wondering why I said goodbye to you for good, it was because I began to resent you and then quickly fell out of love with you. I sleep a whole lot more and value my downtime. Even in the silence, I’m comfortable without you. I know your voice when you come to visit these days and it’s safe to say your old pick up lines don’t impress me anymore. An additional recovering alcoholic publicized a goodbye letter to alcohol in the Fix, a recovery magazine. Both letters are a fantastic case of ways to compose your Dear John letter to alcohol.
- I find myself getting excited about the future.
- Fortunately for me, my world crumbled when I lost a close family member.
- In all honesty I’m glad I rode with you, and I’m glad I got fucked up by you.
- For me, it made me realise my feelings towards alcohol and what it has taken away from me.
- I watched you dig my grave as the days went by, but never once did I try to fill it back up.
- They say that when we are sitting in meetings (12-step programs), you are outside in the parking lot doing push ups.
Your thoughts into those habits may help mend damaged relationships triggered by alcoholism. When you are strong in recovery, it may be helpful to share your letter with family and friends. Your insights into those behaviors may help heal broken relationships cause by alcoholism. The letter may relay humor and the lighter side of drinking before alcoholism took ahold. Many people enjoyed drinking in the beginning. So, it helps to talk about the fun before the addiction took hold of life.
Next PostFinding the Right Addiction Treatment for Teens
David Beasley is a certified RADT (Registered Alcohol/Drug Technician). David, moved to California from North Carolina after many failed attempts to get sober. If I returned to you, I know I’d be hooked again. But every day I will keep doing what I have to do to keep my obsession at bay — counseling, 12-step meetings, etc — so that I never have to see you again.
You are filled with empty promises that you’ll play nice and only come to visit once in a while. Instead, you camped out in my home, my car, my office and even went so far as to hide in my suitcase on our family trip to Disneyland. You know they don’t serve alcohol in the park. You’re very selfish and only concerned with your own well-being.
What is a Dear John Letter to Alcohol?
I spent time in prison because of you. As the lines between real and fake blur, Americans increasingly chase the idea of authenticity. The first step may be to consider self-knowledge, truthfulness, and other building blocks on the road to personal growth. Hannah Rose, LCPC, is a therapist, writer, public speaker, and lover of all things caffeinated. Writing your thoughts is beneficial in many ways. A goodbye letter to a substance can help you deal with traumatic events that have contributed to your addiction.
- Dear Drugs and Alcohol…we had some good times together, but it’s time I move on.
- That alcohol is no longer welcome and cannot be a part of life anymore.
- Many individuals enjoyed drinking in the beginning.
- I should abandon my friends, shut out my family.
- Gone are all the great pastries from Carnegie Deli, but you can still order a Reuben (pastrami) or an Irish (corned beef).
- Below you can find out what to expect when you contact us for help.